The municipality of Ocampo traced its existence as the former “Mission de Mabatobato” launched by the Franciscan friars in 1735. The place was named “Mabatobato” because of the presence of huge rocks scattered all over the place believed to have erupted from Mt. Isarog. As a mission, it has four barrios; Ayugan, Tinablanan, Pinit and Moriones.
In early 1800’s, people from neighboring towns began to flock the area to settle and till the vast areas of lands suited for agriculture. The place began to flourish that the people began to dream of transforming the settlement into a new municipality. Cabeza de Barangay Michael Alcantara and Don Jose Barangbang requested and pleaded to the Bishop of Caceres to make the barrio into a town. The request was granted.
In 1917, Mabatobato was annexed to the municipality of Pili to help it recover from the spanish-american war and for effective governance. By 1922 it was made into a new parish. Baptisms and burials were first recorded that year. The place began to flourish again and influx of immigrants from neighboring towns as well as from Batangas and Tayabas were observed.
After three decades, the leaders and the people of Mabatobato began to clamor for independence and to govern themselves once again. In 1948, during the incumbency of Congressman Sebastian C. Moll, Jr., 2nd District Camarines Sur, the dream to separate had been brewed. President Elpidio Quirino signed Executive Order No. 243 dated 15 July 1949 entitled: “Organizing Certain Barrios of the Municipality of Pili, Camarines Sur, into an Independent Municipality under the name of OCAMPO”. Mabatobato was renamed in honor of Don Julian Ocampo who was the Governor of Camarines Sur in the 1930’s. Upon the appointment and qualification of the first municipal officials, Ocampo